If you are new to the online world, you might be asking yourself, what is an online survey job? Can you really register online and get money and rewards just for giving your opinion? What is the difference between a “normal” survey and an online survey?
Parts of the world are only starting to get affordable internet now and the majority of the people still do not know about earning online. Online surveys are often being mentioned on the web as a way of making money for those who have extra time and want to use it constructively. They have been around for a very long time and some of the reputable online surveys have been around for more than 15 years.
Businesses are willing to pay money to get feedback from a large pool of consumers.
What Is An Online Survey Job?
A survey is a method of research to gain feedback from consumers about a product or service. In the “normal” way of doing surveys, the researcher contacts the person who they want feedback from directly and conduct the survey, usually done voluntarily by the person giving feedback. Online survey is the same thing but done through the internet, whether directly with the researching entity or through a third party.
What Is An Online Survey Job?
An online survey job is the when you do online surveys frequently to gain an income with some form of regularity. This is done either through a survey company such as Toluna, or through a GPT website that aggregates surveys from numerous companies on one platform.
The term ‘job’ is a little murky when it comes to online surveys. It is not really a job in the sense of having a paid position of regular employment. With a job, you have a contract with an employer and there is a set agreement over what you wil do. With online surveys, there is no contract between you and the survey company or their third party supplier. They merely have terms and conditions for you to be able to use their website.
There is also no mandate on the work that you have to do. Surveys become available at regular periods and you have the opportunity to do them. If you don’t there is no effect on the relationship with the survey company. Nevertheless, you can do online surveys frequently and earn money from them daily akin to how one would earn a wage.
How Online Surveys Work
As discussed above, surveys are a way for researcher to gain feedback from a research subject. With online surveys, the researcher is a business that is conducting market research, and the research company is you, the consumer. This helps them to know how their products and services resonates with or meets the requirements of the consumer. To achieve this, they enlist of the services of survey companies, which are essentially marketing consultants. The survey companies play the middleman between the business and the consumer.
Businesses are willing to pay money to get feedback from a large pool of consumers. What an online survey does is it takes out a lot of the logistical and administrative limitations in engaging consumers directly. Thanks to the internet, consumer information can be collected without anybody having to go anywhere to meet the other.
There can be as many as four different parties in the online survey value chain. An example is with the survey company, clixsense. There is the business, which enlists the services of a survey company such as Toluna. Toluna then enlists the services of a GPT portal like Clixsense or PrizeRebel. The last link in the chain is the consumer who completes survey on the survey portal.
Pros Of Online Survey Jobs
- No entry requirements – Online Surveys have no entry requirements outside of an age restriction. For some portals, the age restriction is as low as 13
- Can be done from anywhere. Because of their remote nature, surveys can be done from anywhere geographically. Some are limited to certain countries or regions, but for international ones, you can do them from anywhere in the world, as long as you can get an internet connection.
- You can sign up to many survey portals in order to maximize the number of surveys you have available to you. Signing up on one survey portal does not disqualify you from registering with another. The only limitation is that if you have done a survey from a company on one portal, you are not allowed to do the same company on a different portal as this would be duplicate info which is not useful for the business.
Cons Of Online Surveys Jobs
- Very low pay rate – Online surveys have a reputation of paying very low rates for the time it takes to do them. Many pay pennies for work that takes several minutes to do and the hourly rate can be below $1.
- Disqualification from surveys – In order to qualify for a survey you usually have to answer a few questions first. Some surveys can make spend an inordinately long time with the screening questions only to disqualify you. In this instance you will not get compensated for the time you have just spent.
- No guarantee of availability – Depending on where you are in the world and what demographic you fit in, you might not get a lot of surveys. Some people can do more than 10 a day while others might be luck to get one or two a day
- Some Survey Sites Don’t Pay Cash – Cash is king and when surveys do not pay in cash, the reward is either adds inconvenience in redeeming it, or is something that the user does not want or cannot use
Who Are Online Surveys Best Suited For?
Online surveys are suited for people who do not have high earning requirements or expectations, and do not mind tedious work that is time-consuming. They are good for students because most have no working experience, no qualifications and generally lower income expectations. Retirees and the long-term unemployed who have a lot of free time can also benefit from doing these surveys.
What Is Better Than Online Surveys?
The low rates paid for online surveys can turn a lot of people away. For those people, there are alternatives: online.
Data Entry and Transcription – These are jobs with basic education requirements that require you to do basic data entry or typing. Transcription is quite common as a starting point for online earning.
Freelancing on online marketplaces like Fiverr and Upwork. The platforms act as a meeting place for people looking for services and freelancers who are looking for work.
Teaching English As A Foreign Language (TEFL) – You can teach or tutor students who are learning English as a foreign language. Cambly has a nice platform where tutors basically just make conversation with students look to improve their speaking of English.
Internet Marketing – Many internet entrepreneurs are making full-time money and as much as 5 figure salaries through internet marketing. For the best place to learn about internet marketing as a beginner, check out my review of the best place to start.
An online job is not necessarily a job, but access to a portal that provides a survey on a large scale to users on the internet. It is more like a marketplace for tasks where you can complete some tasks if you have the time and they meet your compensation requirements. It is a good start for those who are new to the marketplace that is the internet because of the near non-existent barriers to entry.
Thank you for reading this review, I hope you enjoyed reading it. If you found it helpful and have your own insights to share, please leave a comment below.